In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Lily Collins talks about The Mortal Instruments adaptation, bringing Clary Fray to life on-screen, her feelings about Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland and of course, the ending of the movie. You can read excerpts below:
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I know you were a longtime fan of the books. Did you envision yourself as her while you were reading it?
LILY COLLINS: Well, I think any young girl who reads a series like this, where there is such an amazing female character, I think everyone is secretly like, ‘I wish I was Clary.’ Not because she has these two guys fighting for her attention –
But it’s kind of nice!
[Laughs] Not going to lie, that’s a perk to Clary, but the thing about her that I love is that she’s this strong, empowered young woman who is going through normal teenage life, and yet all these different crazy situations are thrown at her and she handles it with such grace. I [always thought], “She’s feisty and she kicks butt and she’s got this amazing adventure story.”So I totally would have loved to play Clary when I was reading it but never did I imagine that the day would come that I actually got to play her. So for me, like you said, I was a fan before, so it was a fan getting to live out a dream. So that made it all the more special for me.
What was your reaction the first time you saw some of the sets?
Oh my gosh! When I saw the Institute library where Hodge (Jared Harris) hangs out and where a lot of the fight sequences take place, that was the first time when I went, ‘This is exactly how I imagined it!’ The epic proportion of it, the detail — so many books had been hand-painted that you don’t even see. The amount of time and energy that went into making those sets…they were just vast and massive. And then the City of Bones, all the graveyards and skulls they had put in [it]. The art department is just so incredible and the aging on all the weapons and everything, they spared no expense to make it perfect. Even if the audience doesn’t see every particular thing that they put in the set, walking around it truly felt like we were there. It transforms you and transcends any reality that you’re in. All of a sudden, you’re just a part of it.
What was your training like for that?
We trained like three months before filming. Stunt training and physical fitness, and then every day while we were filming, getting up at four or five in the morning I would train and then go to set. We had the stunt coordinators, we had aerial training with wires. We were training with swords and knifes — it was the most intense experience I ever had with training. I came off the project so exhausted, but it was worth it because I got to learn so many new kinds of tricks. Hopefully if [the movie] goes to sequel I would get to show more skill with it which would be amazing.
Still reveling in the pictures and videos of the conference from Wondercon 2013? We have more! The press outlets have slowly begun to release their press-room and red-carpet interviews with author Cassandra Clare, and the attending cast that includes Jamie Campbell Bower, Lily Collins and Kevin Zegers.
The ones released so-far can be seen below.
Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower on why The Mortal Instruments is not Twilight (Seriously, are these comparisons ever going to stop?):
Jamie Campbell Bower talks Jace Wayland, his favorite weapon and more:
Cassandra Clare talks the TMI adaptation:
We’ll be posting more as and when they emerge, so keep an eye out. Also, the theatrical trailer that debuted at the Con will be online later today, April 1, on iTunes.
The cast of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, along with author Cassandra Clare attended the WonderCon 2013 yesterday where they took part in a Q & A panel and unveiled the new trailer and character posters for Clary Fray and Jace Wayland.
RamaScreen recorded the entire panel, and you can check out the two-part videos below:
The gorgeous posters featuring Lily as Clary Fray, Chosen, and Jamie as Jace Wayland, Shadowhunter that were unveiled at WonderCon 2013 earlier in the day have now been exclusively released online Yahoo! Movies.
Check them out in the gallery here.
The brilliant trailer that was unveiled at WonderCon will be released online on Monday, April 1 so don’t forget to check back!
After getting done with the press interviews at the WonderCon 2013, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones actors Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower and Kevin Zegers along with author Cassandra Clare attended the Q & A panel where new characters posters from the movie were unveiled. Low-resolution photos of the posters, featuring Lily as Clary Fray, Chosen, and Jamie as Jace Wayland, Shadowhunter. can be seen below. Click on the images to see full photos:
You can check out photos of the cast at the interview and panel in the gallery here, we’re constantly updating the album!
The new theatrical trailer was shown too, as promised, and from those present we know that the new scenes – apart from the glimpses we’ve seen – also include Clary getting the phone-call from her mother, Jocelyn Fairchild and returning home. We also see Magnus Bane and the vampire-werewolves showdown with Simon Lewis commenting in his usual snarkiness. Then there’s the Garden scene, demons and Luke Greyback. iO9 has a very spoiler-y description of the trailer frame-by-frame, which, if you can’t wait, read here.
We’ve collected all the major information from the panel below.
- “The movie stays true to the spirit of the books & characters – it’s sticking as close to the book as possible without being 10 hours!” – Cassie Clare
- “He’s covered in glitter and eyeliner. He’s very Magnus…” – Cassie Clare
- “I was a fan of the books before I was cast… and honored to take on this role of Clary Fray.” – Lily Collins
- “We wanted to Clary to be someone who could be your friend and was in these crazy situations. She likes being a redhead!” – Lily Collins
- “If you’ll have me as Clary for awhile, I’m willing to be a redhead for awhile.” – Lily Collins
- “I grew up a lot during this movie.” – Lily Collins
- “I loved every second of filming this project. This has been one of the best experiences of my life.” – Lily Collins
- “What drew me to Jace, was his vulnerability.” – Jamie Campbell Bower
- “You’re so pretty on the big screen, by the way.” – Jamie Campbell Bower [to Kevin Zegers]
- “Runes took hours every morning.” – Kevin Zegers
- “The great thing for me about Alec is you really don’t know what’s going on with him. You don’t have to define him right away.” – Kevin Zegers
- Jamie sported the Morgenstern ring.
- Jamie’s favorite character is Isabelle Lightwood. He called her ‘brutal and ruthless’.
- Lily’s favorite character is Magnus Bane. She said, ‘he has such a history to him and an allure to him.’
- Kevin’s favorite character is Magnus Bane, as well.
- Jamie and Kevin bonded a lot on-set.